Almonds: One of our Favorite Superfoods!
Almonds have always been my go to snack and are an essential in my workout bag and purse. Not only are they convenient and delicious, they also pack a variety of health benefits into each tasty bite!
Today is National Almond Day and we couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate than by sharing the top 5 reasons that we LOVE almonds!! (1)
- Help with Weight Loss and Prevent Overeating
Healthy fats and dietary fiber aid in weight loss because they help you feel full, which curbs overeating and unhealthy snacking. Although nuts are high in fat and calories, they prolong the feeling of satisfaction after you eat and keep your blood sugar more stable than low-fat meals. You’re then less likely to experience a roller-coaster of energy dips and food cravings.
- Maintain Skin Health
Almonds are a great source of vitamin E and other antioxidants that nourish the skin and reduce signs of aging. Almonds’ healthy fats, plus their ability to improve circulation, also help keep skin hydrated and better able to heal wounds.
- Help Prevent Heart Disease and Heart Attacks
Almonds are rich in antioxidants and key nutrients that support heart health such as magnesium, copper, manganese, calcium and potassium. These nutrients support healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels as well as heart health and reduced inflammation.
- Support Healthy Brain Function
Almonds are often considered a superior brain food. Almonds contain riboflavin and L-carnitine which are two key nutrients capable of positively affecting neurological activity and preventing cognitive decline.
- Increase Digestive Health
In addition to healthy fats and alkaline-forming molecules, almonds (especially the skin of almonds) contain probiotic components that help with digestion, detoxification and healthy bacterial growth within the gut flora — a key to actually utilizing nutrients from food and preventing nutrient deficiencies.
Grab a handful of almonds and enjoy National Almond Day!
PS – We are thrilled to feature this photograph from Willful.
Here’s a little background on Willful:
- Willful is a Minneapolis based housewares brand started in 2012
- They celebrated their 5 year anniversary yesterday, Feb. 15th 2017
- Willful pecializes in hand crafted housewares featuring their very own exclusive, hand mixed rubber
- Willful has become internationally recognized for their bold colors, bare woods, and organic textures.
- Willful has been featured in magazines including Food network, Midwest Home, Minneapolis St. Paul Mag., Epicurious, Food & Wine.
Visit Willful’s site to learn more about their company and purchase their exclusive products.
Amber + The Haute Barre Family